haBOOB

When I first heard this word I laughed, how could you not? And yes this whole laughing thing happened in a professional setting that wasn't quite appropriate. It was one of those cases of the giggles that brought me back to second grade. I had to come back to center and think about serious things...like, numbers and budgets (clearly that's no laughing matter)


Being a SoCal raised girl this word was as foreign to me as shoveling snow. As I have become a better resident in the Phoenix area however, I have learned that 'haboob' is used quite frequently here. And I'm proud to say that I experienced my first ever haboob (HA) the night before last. Here's what it looked like.



The Phoenix Haboob of July 5th, 2011 from Mike Olbinski on Vimeo.


Ha.Boob
–noun
a thick dust storm or sandstorm that blows in the deserts of North Africa and Arabia or on the plains of India. (Obviously we aren't in North Africa, so perhaps everyone is misusing this term)
By the way, if you go here and click the volume button, you'll hear the lady say it...Drew and I just messed with it for a while... 
Watch out for those haboobs!

No comments:

Post a Comment